Gluten-free, Makes one 9×5 loaf (10 slices)
One of my favorite things to do while lounging at my parents’ house in Illinois is to take full advantage of their well-stocked kitchen. Since it’s almost Thanksgiving and pumpkin is one of my favorite ingredients, I set about baking a pumpkin loaf for my parents.
I think pumpkin is amazing when paired with coconut in savory soups, and I wanted to feature the two ingredients together on a sweeter platform. The coconut milk takes the place of soymilk and oil, giving the loaf a moist richness. The combination of crunchy shredded coconut and soft oat flour, I think you will agree, is wonderful.
The loaf actually got gobbled up before I had a chance to photograph it (a good sign!), so I made a second one. My brother-in-law had arrived in town at that point and he despises coconut, so I left the shredded coconut out this time and added chocolate chips, which were the perfect addition!
2 1/4 cups homemade oat flour (see below)
3/4 cup shredded coconut
3/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ginger powder
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk, room temperature
1 ¾ cups unsweetened canned pumpkin
3 tsp ground flax/chia seeds
3/4 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup maple syrup
1.5 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp coconut extract
1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat your oven to 415 degrees.
2. Grind rolled oats in a food processor or blender until they are powdery.
3. Combine the oat flour, salt, baking powder and spices.
4. Combine the remaining ingredients in the blender/food processor, mixing for a couple of minutes.
5. Pour the wet mixture into the bowl, using a spatula to scrape down the sides of the blender/food processor. Mix the batter until it is fully incorporated. It should be a thick batter, somewhat like pancake batter. Add chocolate chips and mix them in.
6. Grease the loaf pan thoroughly and pour the batter into the pan.
7. Bake at 415 degrees for 20 minutes. Then reduce heat to 395 and bake for 25 more minutes.
8. Leave the loaf to cool for 25 minutes before removing. Slice and enjoy!